Shivamogga city painting at London museum

ನಮ್ಮ ಶಿವಮೊಗ್ಗದ ಅಪರೂಪದ ಚಿತ್ರ ಲಂಡನ್ ಮ್ಯೂಸಿಯಂ ನಲ್ಲಿ.

A view of Shivamogga city in 1805
A view of Shivamogga city in 1805

ಹೌದು ನೀವು ಓಡುತ್ತಿರುವುದು ನಿಜ. ನಮ್ಮ ಶಿವಮೊಗ್ಗದ ಪೇಂಟಿಂಗ್ ಒಂದು ಲಂಡನ್ ಮ್ಯೂಸಿಯಂ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನಕ್ಕೆ ಇಡಲಾಗಿದೆ. “A rare view of Shimoga city in 1805” ಎಂಬ ಕ್ಯಾಪ್ಶನ್ ಕೂಡ ಇದೆ. ಇದು 200 ವರ್ಷಗಳ ಹಿಂದೆ ಮಾಡಿದ ಪೇಂಟಿಂಗ್ . ಇತಿಹಾಸ ಮತ್ತು ಪುರಾತನ ವಸ್ತು ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರ ಗಳನ್ನು ಉತ್ತೇಜಿಸುವ ಸಲುವಾಗಿ “ಅಖಿಲ ಭಾರತ ಇತಿಹಾಸ ಸಂಕಲನ ಯೋಜನೆ” ಎಂಬ ಯೋಜನೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ನಮ್ಮ ಶಿವಮೊಗ್ಗದ ಈ ಚಿತ್ರವನ್ನು ಲಂಡನ್ ಮ್ಯೂಸಿಯಂ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನಕ್ಕೆ ಇಡಲಾಗಿದೆ.

ಈ ಚಿತ್ರವನ್ನು ಬರೆದವರು ಯಾರು ಎಂದು ಖಚಿತವಾಗಿ ತಿಳಿದು ಬಂದಿಲ್ಲ. ಆದರೆ ಅದರ ಮೇಲೆ ಬರೆದಿರುವ ಅಕ್ಷರಗಳ ಶೈಲಿಯನ್ನು ನೋಡಿದರೆ Colonel Colin MacKenzie ಎಂಬ ವ್ಯಕ್ತಿ ಬರೆದಿರುವುದು ಎಂದು ಹೇಳಲಾಗುತ್ತಿದೆ. 1790 ರಿಂದ 1820 ರ ವರೆಗೆ ಮಲೆನಾಡಿನ ಭಾಗಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಇವರು ಪ್ರವಾಸ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದರಂತೆ.

Also read https://shimogasiri.com/keladi-ikkeri-historic-places-in-shivamogga/

” kaifiyats” ಎಂಬುದು ಅವರು ಬರೆದ ಡಾಕ್ಯುಮೆಂಟ್ಸ್ ಗಳು, ಇವು ಪ್ರಮುಖವಾದ ಅಂಶಗಳನ್ನು ಒಳಗೊಂಡಿದೆ ಮತ್ತು ಅವರು ಚಿತ್ರಗರರೂ ಆಗಿದ್ದರು. ಆದ್ದರಿಂದ ಈ ಚಿತ್ರವನ್ನು ಅವರೇ ಬರೆದಿರಬಹುದು ಎಂದು ಊಹಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ.

Rare painting of Shivamogga city at London Museum:

Shivamogga city painting at London museum

Shivamogga city painting at London museum-Yes, You are rading it right. A painting of Shivamogga city from 1805 is displayed at London Museum.” Akhila Bharatiya Itihasa Sankalana yojana”, a forum involved in promoting historical studies and archeology, got the photograph of the painting displayed at the museum of London. The painting displayed bears a caption of “A view of Shimoga city in August 1805” which is handwritten. 

But the name of the artist is not written on the painting, however  handwriting of the caption resembles that of Colonel Colin MacKenzie, who had travelled extensively in Malnad region from 1790 to 1820.

Mr. MacKenzie had written on the socio-cultural life of the region. His documents, called ‘Kaifiyats’ are considered authentic sources in history research. Mr. Mackenzie was also a painter. Historians say he may have painted the landscape.

Riverside view

The painting presents a view of the Shivamogga Nayaka Palace and the fort around it from the other side of the Tunga. As there was no bridge to cross the river in 1805, residents often used coracles then. A coracle parked on the river bank is also seen in the painting.

The fort wall built on the bank of the river had eight watch towers, locally known as buruj . The present day Gandhi Bazaar, S.P.M. Road and B.B. Street was a vast swathe of plain land then, with no human habitation.

The artist might have worked on the painting on the riverbank near the present day Madaripalya locality. The wall of the fort seen in the painting is completely dilapidated today and of the eight watch towers, only two are seen now.

Leave a Comment

5 × 1 =

ShimogaSiri

K R Puram

Shivamogga

Karnataka

577202

9611875511